A Boston where all residents can access opportunities and resources critical for individual, family, and community wealth building and an improved quality of life.
The Office of Financial Empowerment’s mission is to link those seeking financial security and wealth generation with access to capital, financial education, and financial services.
- All eligible Bostonians received access to free tax preparation at one of the 27 community based tax preparation locations, or through MyFreeTaxes.com.
- The Boston Tax Help Coalition opened 27 free tax preparation sites and returned approximately $24.6 million dollars to Boston’s neighborhoods directly to people’s pockets. Over 12,000 residents in Boston were served at the tax sites. (see BostonTaxHelp.org)
- All of Boston Tax Help services were available in 8 languages—English, Spanish, Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Chinese, Vietnamese and Somali.
- Two Financial Opportunity Centers will serve 600 clients: at Jewish Vocational Services Center for Economic Opportunity and the Roxbury Center for Financial Empowerment.
- The OFE will join with a community coalition to file and support two key pieces of legislation in the Massachusetts legislature. 1) the Family Financial Protection Act to protect consumers from predatory practices of the debt buyer industry and 2) to increase the state’s Earned Income Tax Credit to provide more refund dollars to Boston’s most economically vulnerable taxpayers at tax time.